We are excited to announce that beginning this fall classes will be held at The Speyer Legacy School, 925 Ninth Avenue @ 59th Street. The new location will allow us to accommodate our growing community and will facilitate our students and staff to collaborate with the team at Speyer Legacy in the future. To learn more about this independent school for accelerated learners, please visit http://www.speyerlegacyschool.org/
This academic year will also see changes to the admissions process for both, returning and prospective students.
Acceptance into Groups Y, S, and I will be based on an on-site exam. Exam dates and times are posted on the Math-M-Addicts admissions page. Please follow website instructions to register for one of the available exam-taking dates. Students will not be able to sit for the exam without prior registration.
Acceptance into Group A will continue to be in form of a take-home exam due to the more complex nature of the problems on this test. To download the exam please follow the link to the Group A page. Exam will be available for download in late August / early September.
Below please find some guidelines to help you determine which entrance exam you are eligible for. Don't hesitate to reach out if you aren't sure:
- If you attended Group I during the 2014-15 academic year and think you should be in Group A, take the take-home exam. Note, that with at least one problem solved, you will automatically qualify for Group I, even if you don't qualify for Group A. If you do not think you should be in Group A, register to take the on-site Group I test.
- If you attended Group S1 during the 2014-15 academic year, register to take the on-site Group I test. If you do not pass, you will automatically stay in Group S1.
- If you attended Group S2 or Y during the 2014-15 academic year, register to take the on-site Group S test.
Prospective students are eligible for the exam corresponding to their grade level.
- Incoming 5th, 6th, and 7th graders should register to take the on-site Group Y exam
- Incoming 7th graders who are particularly strong in algebra should register to take the on-site Group S exam
- Incoming 8th graders should register to take the on-site Group S exam
- Incoming 9th graders should either register to take the on-site Group I exam or do the take-home Group A exam
- Exceptions to the above-suggested eligibilities are based on AMC scores. Students who scored 17+ on the AMC 8 should register to take the on-site Group S exam. Students whose scores gave them the AIME qualification should register to take the on-site Group I exam.
Students will be contacted by email with the results and their group assignments. Please note, our goal is to create groups of students who are at comparable levels. Thus, placements will be made based on exam scores and cannot be appealed. However, as the year progresses, teachers will move students to a higher-level class if it becomes apparent that they are insufficiently challenged. Similarly, students will be able to move to a lower-level class if they find their current class too challenging.
Finally, classes are expected to start on September 19th and we look forward to a wonderful 2015-2016 Math-M-Addicts term.